Thursday, January 18, 2007

Questions About Video Cameras for Private Investigators

Ok, I promise, last video camera question for all of the private investigators out there (but not individuals...LOL).

Are most PI's using the Amatuer type camcorders or the Prosumer videocameras for surveillance investigation?

Is it worth sticking a couple thousand in the top of the line or is a simple camcorder what other private detectives use with success? I won't mind paying the money (will find it somehow ) but since I make my living with surveillance videos of claimants I am wondering how far to go with this purchase.

So much studying....so much confusion!!! -ST

+++

I use the OTC (amateur) TRV-340 NTSC. I have had no complaints on video quality yet. If you want to spend a couple of thousand on a private investigation video camera that will be thrown into a bag hooked to a pager cam, or held while climbing a 12 foot cinder block wall, or sitting under wet bushes while taking video w/ a camera that costs what the professional grades do knock yourself out. I just want a picture of the expression on your face the first time that expensive camera rolls onto your floor board going around a corner fast to keep up with your subject or insurance claimant. :) -TP

+++

I been using a Panasonic VHSC made for consumer use and bought on the internet for the past several months, replacing an earlier Panasonic VHSC before that.

I can zoom in on anything from anywhere, timestamp and date with a clock that does not drift and buy battery packs over the counter and hold it all in one hand.

Sure, if I were to compare my VHSC and an RCA Professional recorded on 1/2" tape, I would see a difference. Would it be enough to convince a jury the difference in winning a case that
Joe's wife is the person coming out of the hotel room with Fred? Not any better than the consumer Panasonic for getting cheating spouse video evidence.

Just my humble opinion,try a less costly system and if it doesn't do the job, then purchase a bigger system. I have seen many aspiring PI's go broke purchasing equipment that they never used and then starved while their equipment gathered dust because they couldn't find out basic information to wrap up cases.

(I'm not referring to your situation, just putting my vision of equipment into perspective.) -DR

+++

Can you hook up a pager-cam to a trv-340? -ST

+++

Absolutely. -TP

No comments: